Job Opportunity – Database/BI Developer
Location: Dar es Salaam
The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) is engaged in a five-year Cooperative Agreement with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention-Tanzania (CDC-Tanzania) to provide strategic information and health information systems (HIS) technical assistance to the Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children (MOHCDGEC) as well as the United States’ President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) and their implementing partners (IPs). We are recruiting an individual through our affiliated international NGO ‘Global Programs’ to serve as a Database/BI Developer.
This is a full-time position with an initial contract through September 2022 and the possibility of extension subject to continued funding. The position is expected to start on April 1, 2022.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Under the supervision of the Health Information Systems Director, the Database/BI Developer shall support UCSF with its data needs by developing and maintaining databases, reports, queries, and other software to support its projects and programmes.
- The Database/BI developer is expected to design databases to meet the needs for specific projects while maintaining database design standards.
- Some projects will require the developer to import data from existing data sources into a UCSF-managed database, sometimes with data transformation. Therefore, proficiency in SQL and scripting languages is critical. Another critical task for the Bl Developer will be to visualize project data on dashboards, often with data transformation and analysis.
- As an integral part of the Global Programs Tanzania office, the Database/BI developer may be expected to meet with stakeholders, funders, and government officials, and draw up requirements based on their needs.
Specific responsibilities include:
The incumbent will:
- Map out the conceptual design for a planned database that is to contain large health- related datasets
- Design, develop and implement ETL programs to load various databases on a continuous and ongoing basis into a master database for analysis
- Develop efficient queries, views, indexed views, and other database objects to facilitate querying, reporting, and analysis
- Recommend where appropriate and subsequently develop a data warehouse
- Design and develop dashboards, charts and reports using PowerBI and SQL Server Reporting Services
- Further refine the physical design to meet system storage requirements
- Maintain data standards, including adherence to the Data Protection Act
- Write database documentation, including data standards, procedures and definitions for the data dictionary (metadata)
- Ensure that data storage and archiving procedures are functioning correctly
- Communicate regularly with technical, applications, and operational staff to ensure database integrity and security
- Commission and install new applications and customize existing applications in order to make them fit for purpose
- Any other duties or tasks within the scope of the role as directed by management
Experience, skills, and minimum required qualifications:
- An appropriate degree in computer science, information systems, or software engineering with a focus on database development or business intelligence with three years’ experience – or at least six years of demonstrable experience in database development, backend development or business intelligence. A Master’s degree in computer science, software engineering, Health Informatics, or Information Systems Management is an added advantage
- At least three years demonstrable experience in one DBMS, either SQL Server or PostgreSQL
- Demonstrable experience in working with databases and SQL, including writing complex SQL queries
- Demonstrated experience in business intelligence tools like and using Power Bl, Tableau bi
- Certification in a popular DBMS is considered a major advantage
- Experience with one or more of the following domains are considered advantages:
- Software development using Java or Python
- Epidemiology and OR (Bio)statistics
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Working in the health sector especially in HIV related services
- Azure data studio
- Demonstrable skills in enterprise application integration
- Ability to work successfully in a team
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Swahili
Other desired skills/qualities:
- Excellent skills in critical thinking and analysis
- Excellent organizational and oral/written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and manage various tasks under tight deadlines
- The incumbent must be willing to liaise and collaborate with other staff, and train them in the design, development, and maintenance of databases and dashboards
- All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed in the minimum requirements above with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
All applications must include the following:
- A current CV with names and telephone numbers for at least 2 referees
- Copies of academic and professional certificates
Applications and supporting documents should be sent via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and must be received by February 10, 2022.
Application deadline: February 10, 2022
Start date: April 1, 2022