|The Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization (LVFO)|
BACKGROUND INFORMATION FOR THE POSITION OF DIRECTOR, FISHERIES MANAGEMENT AND DEVELOPMENT
Victoria Fisheries Organization (LVFO) is an institution of the East
African Community (EAC) charged with the management and development of
fisheries and aquaculture. It was formed by a Convention in 1994 with
major amendments in 2016. It is accommodated under Article 9.3 of EAC
Treaty and registered as a Regional Fisheries Management Organization
(RFMO) under the FAO UN Charter CAP 102. The overall objective of the
LVFO is to promote sustainable management and development of the
fisheries and aquaculture in order to contribute to food security and
economic growth in the EAC region. The 2016 amendment to the Convention
that established LVFO expanded her mandate and scope to cover among
others issues of fish quality, trade, and marketing.
addition, as EAC Partner States submit their instruments of accession
to the Repository (FAO) and join the Organization, the number of main
stream and project staff increases. Against this background, LVFO
Secretariat is seeking to recruit competent staff to fill position of
Director, Fisheries Management and Development to strengthen the
Organization, to deliver on her mandate.
Job Reference LVFO/HR/2020/01
Job Title Director, Fisheries Management and Development
EAC Grade: P4
Reports to: Deputy Executive Secretary
Duty station: Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization Secretariat; Plot 7B/E Bell Avenue, Jinja, Uganda
A. Major duties and responsibilities
- Coordinates the harmonization of fisheries management and development measures in the region;
- Coordinates the collection, collation, and dissemination of socio-economic information relating to fisheries communities;
- Formulates and coordinates implementation of strategies for the
formation and strengthening of Co-management structures specifically,
and for enhancing community participation in the fisheries sector
- Coordinates the implementation of community awareness of fisheries programmes in the LVFO partner states;
- Evaluates the effectiveness of the existing national policy
instruments in achieving the desired goals in fishery management and
administration and identifying areas of social and economic policy
intervention that would enable viable strategies and programmes be
implemented to sustainably manage the fisheries resources of the EAC on a
- Assesses the social and economic impacts of existing policies and
legislations in the region and suggest mechanism(s) of continuous
monitoring of new regional policies and their impacts on fisheries
management and development in the EAC region;
- Advises on the harmonization and inclusion of the fisheries issues
within the existing policies of other related sectors within the region;
- Studies the impact of existing investment in fisheries both at
national and regional level with a view to identifying possible areas
for further public/private investment;
- Advises on the financial and economic viability of planned
investment, integrating it with technical feasibility and environmental
- Formulates and coordinates implementation of programmes for the
monitoring, control and surveillance of the EAC fisheries as per the
internationally agreed best practices
- Participates in research and fisheries management projects
undertaken by the organization focusing fisheries development
approaches/methods and techniques.
- Liaise and collaborates with other specialists in the Organization
in carrying out all the above responsibilities in the overall
development and management of the fisheries resources in the EAC on a
- Mobilizes resources to support fisheries management programmes of the organization
- Performs such other related duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
B. Required qualifications, competences and experience
1. Academic Qualifications
- Master’s Degree in Fisheries Management or any related field
- PhD in the same field is an added advantage
2. Work Experience
- At least Ten (10) years of experience in Fisheries Management or
any related field in the East African region, five (5) of which at
- Specific experience in managing programmes/projects in an
international or regional organization, national government, or other
public or private organizations
4. Other knowledge and competences
- Very good working knowledge of ICT (MS Office, statistical software)
- Very good written and oral knowledge of English
- Track record of scientific publications in the respective field (4
publications minimum in reputable journals, books and book chapters, 2
of which as principal author)
- Track record in resource mobilization (in terms of successful grant awards)
- Very good in communication (email, tweeter, facebook, whatsapp and other communication tools)
- General knowledge in Project Management; Monitoring and Evaluation; Proposal Writing; Managerial Skills
C. Assessment method
Evaluation of qualified candidates will include a competency-based interview and any other assessments deemed necessary.
1. Education Qualifications
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognised
by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective
countries. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally
2. Relevant Working Experience
Relevant working experience in this regard refers to post education
work experience. Internship, training, apprenticeship and clerkship will
not be considered as relevant work experience.
D. Terms and conditions of employment
The Contract period is for five (5) years renewable once upon
satisfactory performance. The initial contract is subject to a six (6)
months’ probation, to be confirmed upon satisfactory performance.
An attractive Basic Salary package at EAC P4 scale including monthly Housing and Transport allowance.
2. Fringe Benefits
In addition, this post offers attractive fringe benefits including an
installation allowance paid once, plus gratuity paid monthly, a
personal medical Insurance, and personal accident insurance cover.
Eligibility is restricted to candidates from EAC/LVFO Partner States
(The Republics of Burundi, Kenya, Uganda and the United Republic of
F. Age Requirement
Must be preferably not more than 55 years’ old
G. How to Apply
- Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience
requirements for the above-mentioned position are advised to apply
online through this system by clicking on the button labelled “Apply Now“.
Once you have created an account, you will be required to upload an
application letter (pdf), detailed curriculum vitae (pdf), certified
photocopies of academic certificates (pdf), names and contact details of
three referees, and certified copy of National Identity Card (pdf), or
Passport (pdf) and all the documents that suit most this position.
- Please quote the respective reference number on the application letter
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your
application, please send an email with a precise description of the
issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to the email: [email protected]
- All applications must be submitted online through this system
- Applications which do not: indicate nationality and age; the reference number; or have an application letter attached; have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates; or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
- Only qualified candidates will be contacted. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing.
- LVFO Staff Rules and Regulations precludes consideration of applicants above fifty-five (55) years of age
- Please note that LVFO does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Friday, 11th September 2020 at 17:00hrs local time (East Africa Time).
The Executive Secretary
Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization (LVFO)
Busoga Square Plot No. 7B/E Bell Avenue
P. O. Box 1625, Jinja – Uganda.
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +256 434 125000