Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Lead at Mott MacDonald January, 2023
- Full time
- Dodoma, Tanzania
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Lead will work closely with
MEL Adviser and the Learning and Evaluation (L&E) provider to design
and deliver the MEL strategy and contribute to development and
monitoring of the Logframe. H/she will be
responsible for the design, deployment and use of appropriate
data/evidence collection, management, performance monitoring and
reporting tools across the programme outcome areas and within government
PAST PAPERS ZA DARASA LA 7 MPAKA FORM SIX | NECTA AND MOCK EXAMS 1988 – 2019. CLICK HERE!
will manage the MEL team to use and strengthen existing data systems,
build capacity of government to use data and evidence to improve
accountability, citizens’ engagement, and governance. The MEL Lead will
supervise and deliver on the Managing Agent’s role and contributions to
the programme’s learning agenda, in partnership with the L&E
Provider, including special studies, baseline and evaluation projects.
The MEL Lead will also manage the programme’s database, data quality
assurance and compilation of performance reports (including progress
reports). H/she will also oversee generation of evidence to inform all
learning within the programme.
The position requires being able to
train counterparts in analytic skills required for effective monitoring
and evaluation systems. The position will also backstop colleagues to
implement results-based monitoring and evaluation for the project. This
will involve building understanding of pertinent theories of change,
mapping out impact pathways and the corresponding hierarchies of
objectives; specification of indicators of success along the impact
The MEL Lead will:
Core Technical Responsibilities
- Lead the design and implementation of the monitoring, evaluation and learning system for the project.
- Lead in using monitoring and evaluation system as a tool for learning and managing for results
in the design and implementation of situational analyses,
baseline/midline/endline surveys, sampling design, learning assessments,
impact evaluation and/or policy related research.
- Backstop the
senior management team (SMT) in facilitating learning processes and
integrating insights from the learning process into decision-making
- Lead capacity building processes for MEL within the Shule Bora Programme (including partners and GoT)
- Provide quality control for monitoring data and evaluation reports by colleagues and contractors
expertise and resources in the area of digitisation of GoT Education
Management Information Systems, and support CE initiatives aimed at
deploying digital platforms for routine monitoring across MM projects.
- Lead the development and maintenance of the SB database and dashboard to enable regular stock checks to track progress.
closely with government counterparts, support an audit of all
government data systems in the basic education sub sector and determine
what adjustments or improvements are needed to meet the information
requirements of the SB programme.
- Provide assistance to the
preparation of the EPforR Annual Reports, the Government’s Annual
Education Sector Performance Reports (AESPR) and PO-RALG’s publication:
Basic Education Statistics Tanzania (BEST).
- Support the PforR sub-component of the project including data analysis and preparing the computation of annual claims.
- Work closely with the Learning and Evaluation (L&E) provider to design and deliver the programme MEL strategy.
the compilation of performance reports (including progress reports) and
oversee generation of evidence to inform all learning and
communications interventions within the programme.
- Lead the process of recruiting and supervising contractors on MEL.
- Line manages the Data Officers while quality assuring the products by these experts.
- Work in line with the Shule Bora operating principles
Essential competencies and experience
- Deep understanding of the educational context in Tanzania
- Demonstrated monitoring and evaluation and data analysis experience, including ability to handle and process large datasets
- Previous experience of working within the constraints of government systems in Tanzania
- Ability to multi-task, prioritise and manage own time for maximum efficiency
- Excellent strategic thinking, planning and communication skills
- Excellent spoken and written English and Kiswahili
- Willingness to be pro-active, responsive and flexible to the changing requirements of the project
IT skills and confidence in Outlook, MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint,
databases (e.g. Access), field data collection (e.g. Kobo or ODK), data
visualisation (e.g. Power BI or Tableau) and statistical packages (e.g.
R, SPSS or STATA)
- A team player with experience of working within team hierarchies and towards the common vision of a programme
- Strong ability to foster and build networks, and maintain diplomatic relations with different stakeholders
- A publication record in peer reviewed journals a definite plus.
- Education At least a master’s degree in education, gender, international development or related subject
- Formal training in MEL or project management
Deadline: 31st Jan 2023
UK aid funded Shule Bora programme aims to improve the quality of
pre-primary and primary schools in Tanzania. The programme’s Impact
Statement is: Shule Bora will deliver improved quality, inclusiveness,
and safety of learning for boys and girls. There are four
outcomes:Learning: All children* are learning in school.
Teaching: UKAID supports the strengthening of Tanzania’s teaching workforce.
All children are in schools that are safe, offer an environment
conducive to learning and that this enables children to complete primary
education and progress to secondary education.
UKAID supports government in strengthening the value for money** of
education provision at school, local and national level.
term ‘all children’ infers particular attention to the most
disadvantaged: girls, the disabled and those living deprived areas
**Value for money is defined as a composite of economy, efficiency,
effectiveness and equity
programme will: Work with Ministry of Education, Science and Technology
(MOEST) and the President’s Office Regional Administration and Local
Government (PO-RALG) to test, adapt and implement at scale quality,
gender-transformative, disability-inclusive and safe to learn education
approaches in 9 regions, generating learning and evidence on how to
achieve these outcomes affordably and at scale.
Support GoT with the
timely and effective implementation of the PforR mechanism through
technical assistance and capacity building, with a strong focus on data
verification, financial management and risk management. Support lesson
learning processes from PforR so that these can be embedded into
government processes and shared with development partners and other key
stakeholders. Ensure that lessons and best practice from (1) are used to
inform PfR mechanism.
Manage and coordinate programme activities,
with a strong focus on (i) ensuring a high-quality programme, financial
and risk management oversight, (ii) working with an independent Learning
and Evidence (L&E) provider on establishing regular, rigorous and
community-driven monitoring and evaluation activities, and (iii)
developing and implementing a strategy for effective communication of
Shule Bora objectives, results, and lessons learned to a range of target
Equality, diversity and inclusion
put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business,
seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure
equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our
workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where
everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your
manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client,
team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and
CHECK SCHOLARSHIPS OPPORTUNITIES TO STUDY ABROAD CLICK HERE!
More about Mott MacDonald
We’re a global engineering, management and development consultancy.
purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes in
everything we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital
innovation, transforming our clients’ businesses, our communities and
A fundamental part of this is respecting each person’s differences and striving to meet their needs.
Our values: progress, respect, integrity, drive, excellence