Jobs in Tanzania 2022: New Job Vacancies at The East African Community (EAC), 2022
East African Community (EAC) – the European Union (EU) CORE programme is
financed under the 11th European Development Fund (EDF) and has an
overall objective to support the deepening of the EAC regional economic
integration, through advancing implementation of the Customs Union and
the Common Market Protocols. The EU-EAC CORE Programme is a multi-donor
Action, co-financed by the EU as well as by the EAC Secretariat. The
EU-EAC CORE Programme will be implemented through two main
implementation modalities: a) Indirect management with the EAC
Secretariat, through procurement of services and supplies via an
International Restricted Tender (IRT) procedure for Services; b)
Indirect management with the EAC Secretariat, through Programme
The programme covers 3 specific objectives as below:
- Customs: The
program focuses on moving towards a fully-fledged Customs Union, by
supporting more robust ICT based data exchange protocols for the
clearing of goods as well as related regional customs functions (like
risk management and valuation), appropriate processes for the
involvement of other agencies i.e. standards, health etc. as well as a
stronger coordination and monitoring role of the EAC Secretariat.
- Trade in Services:
The program focuses on the Common Market, with the aim of providing
new impetus to promoting free movement of services, a crucial building
block for the creation of a well-functioning common market.
Specifically, It aims to achieve improved implementation of agreed EAC
commitments on liberalisation of services;
The program aims on reinforcing the capacity of the EAC Secretariat to
deliver its overall mandate by improving project management and
reinforcing the use of internationally accepted standards as per EU
Pillars for entrusting third parties with budget implementation tasks.
The East African Community Secretariat seeks to recruit a highly
motivated, result-driven, and qualified professional from citizens of
the Republics of Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, Kenya, Rwanda,
South Sudan, Uganda and the United Republic of Tanzania to fill the following position below tenable at the EAC Secretariat in Arusha, Tanzania:
CUSTOMS PROJECT OFFICER FOR THE EU-EAC CORE PROGRAMME (1 post)
ORGAN: EAC Secretariat
DEPARTMENT: Procedures and Facilitation
REPORTS TO: Director of Customs through the Principal Customs Officer Information Technology
DURATION: 4 year
DUTY STATION: Arusha, United Republic of Tanzania
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
support the Programme Coordinator with the implementation of the EU –
EAC CORE programme, in relation to the management of the Customs
component as well as to the overall CORE Programme management and
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Support management of the Customs component
The staff will undertake the following activities:
with, coordinate and support meetings and activities of the technical
teams (EAC Secretariat, Partner States agencies and consultants)
involved with the delivery of outputs for the Customs component
smooth post-implementation steps of Customs Interconnectivity
Integration Solution and related systems and frameworks, including
testing, acceptance/validation and sustainability
- Ensure timely
mobilization of funds – under the Programme Estimate – for the
implementation of the Customs component, in particular complementarity
with activities implemented by the various service providers.
- Support planning of activities, monitor and report on Custom component activities
Support CORE Programme coordination
incumbent will support smooth set-up, coordination and advancement of
horizontal processes for the overall programme (i.e. covering all
components). This will include:
with EAC staff involved with the CORE programme, in particular to
ensure coordination with the Trade in Services component
- Coordinate preparation of joint annual CORE work programmes
project progress (including via setting up a Monitoring and Evaluation
plan and systems), set deadlines and problem resolution for the key
components of the CORE Programme.
- Prepare regular consolidated progress reports on the implementation of the CORE Programme.
periodic financial status reports for the CORE Programme estimate funds
utilization in conjunction with the EAC Secretariat imprest (funds)
administrators and accountants.
- Organize and facilitate meetings
of the Steering committee CORE Programme to be conducted jointly by EAC
Secretariat, Partner States and European Union (EU), as well as of
programme’s Technical committee.
- Support programme visibility (including via setting up a Communication and Visibility plan)
- Ensure stakeholder satisfaction through regular communication of updates and feedback.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
A Masters degree in the field of Economics, Law, Business
Administration, International Trade or related field. Having a post
graduate qualification in project management and planning is an added
- At least 10 years relevant experience particularly on
customs, trade and regional integration with at least 5 years at senior
level . Experience in working with similar organizations or
institutions, as well as experience in project management and planning,
will be an added advantage.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCES:
- Strong technical and analytical capabilities for analyzing customs and trade issues.
- Fluent in English. Knowledge of Kiswahili and French is desirable. Excellent oral, written and presentation skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to handle multiple tasks without compromising quality and team spirit building skills.
- Computer literate with competency in the use of Microsoft Outlook and Office products such as Word, Excel, Power Point.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; negotiation skills and ability to work harmoniously in a diverse environment.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
is an EU-EAC CORE Programme position supported by European and is a
non-established position for which contract terms are limited to four
(4) years including a probation period of six months.
candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognized by the
relevant national accreditation body in their respective Partner State.
This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained
All professions that require registration with
specific professional bodies will be expected to be in compliance with
such requirements .
Relevant Working Experience:
Internship, training, and apprenticeship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
The EAC is an equal opportunity
employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to
apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the
How to Apply:
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned position are advised to :
- Fill in the application form attached (download from here);
- attach their application letter, a detailed CV, Copies of certified
academic certificates, and a copy of National Identity Card or Passport
in PDF format scanned in one (1) file.
- Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope.
- For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference
number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
1. You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
2. Applications which do not :
- have EAC application form; CV, application letter, ID.
- indicate nationality and age;
- have the reference number;
- or have an application letter attached;
- have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates;
- or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
3. Only qualified candidates will be contacted
Please note that EAC does not require
candidates to pay money for the recruitment process. All invitations for
interviews will be done in writing.
A due diligence will be conducted for
all successful candidates in respect of their academic certificates
(certification by a recognized higher education body in the respective
Partner States) and employment records.
East African Community,
P. o Box 1096,
Arusha – Tanzania.
Tel: +255 27 2162100
Fax: +255 27 2162190
Website : www.eac.int