Announcement Number: Dar es Salaam – 2022-006
Hiring Agency: Embassy Dar Es Salaam
Position Title: Travel Assistant
Open Period: 01/26/2022 – 02/09/2022
Vacancy Time Zone: GMT+3
Series/Grade: LE – 0910 7
Salary: TZS TSh29,568,947
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hours per week
Promotion Potential: LE-7
Duty Location(s): 1 Vacancy in Dar Es Salaam, TZ
Telework Eligible: No
For More Info: HR Section
• Open to the public
Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency: All Interested Applicants / All Sources
Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
Appointment Type Permanent
Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
The U.S. Mission in Dar es Salaam is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Travel Assistant in the General Services Office Section.
Supervisory Position: No
Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
Travel Required: Occasional Travel
Position provides the full range of official domestic and international travel arrangements for mission personnel and where necessary for temporary duty and VIP visits. Coordinates logistical support for conferences, training, and other business events. Is the Contracting Officer’s Representative (COR) for the travel management center (TMC) contractor; issuing between 10 and 15 million dollars’ worth of travel a year. Reports to the Shipping and Travel Supervisor.
(40%) Travel Services
- Guides all mission personnel on applicable travel policy and procedures for official travel. Answers queries and researches answers for clients. Works as liaison with the travelers or other Embassy sections concerning travel questions or issues and raises these issues to the supervisor or the General Services Officer when necessary. Negotiates corporate agreements with various airlines and hotels in Tanzania.
- Advises travelers of their entitlement in a wide variety of travel situations, including rest stops, cost constructing travel, travel insurance, a variety of travel such as home leave, educational, rest and recuperation (R&R), medical evacuation, invitational travel, etc., and ensures that policies and procedures are complied with.
- Prepares correspondence, SOPs, ad-hoc and recurring reports concerning travel matters and ICASS workload counts. Advises the supervisor on policy changes. Issues and updates the Post Travel Policy when needed.
- Ensures rapid emergency action for medical Evacuations on short notices. Supports the Consular Section in case of need to arrange American Citizen Travel.
(30%) Travel Documents Processing
- Reviews and approves in the electronic travel system e2 all travel authorizations for Post before forwarding to the GSO and the Financial Management Officer for approval. Prepares all travel authorizations and invoices in the electronic travel system e2 for the GSO non-desk staff, e.g. chauffeurs and warehouse workers. Works with the financial staff and tracks staff travel vouchers for submission and payment.
- Prepares diplomatic notes and letters to obtain entry or exit visas and other approvals for travel. Works closely with the Visa Sections at other Embassies, both in Dar and regionally to assist in the expedited issuance of third-country visas as needed for Mission staff. Coordinates the short-term travel insurance program for all LES.
(20%) TMC Management
Serves as a COR on the TMC contract. Oversees the work process and results of the resident TMC contractor by supervising their office on a daily basis. Provides guidance on USG travel regulations and policies such as Fly America Act to the agents and arranges training. Ensures that the TMC agents are knowledgeable and adhere to pertinent USG travel regulations in order to assist the embassy employees in travel. Manages the TMC to ensure uniform treatment of customers and a consistently high level of customer services. Advises his/her supervisor and the GSO officer on the quality of service of the TMC. Validates their invoices for payment.
(10%) VIP Visits /Special Services
Serves as a logistics coordinator for events, VIP visits, and conferences. Negotiates rates with hotels, facilities, airlines, etc, Coordinates with procurement and contracting personnel to assure services are contracted in accordance with proper acquisition procedures such as BPAs, POs or Contracts. Coordinates with motor pool staff, expediters, security personnel, requesting office and other offices as necessary and produces logistics schedule for each event. Assures that proper documentation is in place and that when completed, invoices are received. Validates invoices for payment.
Note: This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the incumbent. Incumbent will be required to perform other duties as assigned by their supervisor.
Qualifications and Evaluations
Experience: Three years’ experience in the travel field dealing with hotel and car rental reservations, preparing travel orders and vouchers, organizing conferences and delegation visits is required.
- Education: Successful completion of Secondary School (Form IV) is required.
- Completion of Secondary School (Form IV).
Language: Level IV Fluent (reading, speaking, and writing) in English is required and Level IV Fluent (reading, speaking, and writing) in Kiswahili is required. This may be tested.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in (insert post and/or country name) may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
AEFM / USEFM
FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
COVID-19 Requirements for Eligible Family Members
As required by Executive Order 14043, Eligible Family Members who will be employed on a Family Member Appointment (FMA) or a Temporary Appointment (TEMP) are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 regardless of the employee’s duty location or work arrangement (e.g., telework, remote work, etc.), subject to such exceptions as required by law. If selected for the position, the agency will provide you additional information regarding what information or documentation will be needed and how you can request a medical or religious accommodation.
Eligible Family Members who will be employed on a Personal Services Agreement and compensated under the USG pay plan will be required to attest to their vaccination status using the Vaccine Attestation Form. If you are not fully vaccinated or decline to provide this information, you will be required to demonstrate proof of a negative COVID-19 test completed within 72 hours of entry to a Mission facility and comply with enhanced COVID-19 mitigation protocols. If selected for the position, the agency will provide you additional information regarding these requirements.
COVID-19 Requirements for Local Candidates
Candidates who will be employed on either a Personal Services Agreement or a direct hire appointment and compensated under the Mission’s Local Compensation Plan will be required to follow all Mission COVID-19 policies applicable to Locally Employed Staff. If selected for the position, the agency will provide you additional information regarding these requirements.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, applicants MUST apply electronically via ERA.
For more information, visit this link https://tz.usembassy.gov/embassy/jobs/
In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
Completion of Secondary School (Form IV) – Certificate
Copy of National ID card
Proof of Citizenship
Other Document 2
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted only via email.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Tanzania.
The deadline for submitting the application is 09 February 2022.