As an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations, the federally owned Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH supports the German Government in achieving its development-policy objectives.
GIZ is looking to fill the position of Project Manager Skills Development in the Employment and Skills for Eastern Africa Program (E4D/SOGA) in Tanzania.
Duty station: Dar es Salaam
Terms of the Contract: Fixed term contract.
The project manager is responsible for
- Implementing and managing E4D’s skills development and job matching portfolio together with another team member
- Steering and monitoring existing skills development and job matching projects that are implemented by third parties for GIZ E4D
- Planning and implementing/steering and monitoring new projects of E4D in collaboration with the team and the private sector
- Developing E4D’s network and liaise with skills andTVET related partners from the private and public sector as well as with non-governmental actors
- Leading the development and organization of the E4D Skills Development Working Group
- Supporting the programme management in M&E, reporting, communication, and knowledge management
The project manager performs the following tasks:
- Steers projects which are implemented by third parties, i.e., overseeing budget, implementation of activities, checking reports, providing advice to implementing partners in managerial and technical aspects and with regards to GIZ rules and directives for project implementation
- Proactively develops new projects and activities contributing to E4D’s goals in skills development and job matching in close collaboration with the team and external partners and stakeholders (private sector companies and associations, governmental bodies).
- Manages the tendering processes of new projects and activities in line with GIZ rules and directives for procurement and contracting
- Monitor’s progress and development results of projects together with partners and/or implementing parties and feeds them into the programme’s overall results tracking 13 Frequently travels to projects locations in different regions in Tanzania and structurally reports upon challenges, current developments, and needs
- Supports the coordination with VETA-centers andVETA central together with another team member
- Supports the private sector team of E4D in designing skills development measures and performing market research to identify potential implementing parties and their offers as part of the programme’s Development Partnerships with the Private sector (DPP)
- Ensures a strong cooperation with E4D private sector team members as the programme implements a strong demand driven approach
- Organizes and implements the Skills Development Working Group which is an exchange platform for different public and private skills initiatives. This also includes the follow-up of the meetings with finalizing and sending out minutes
- Assumes the focal point role of a selected transversal topic (gender, human rights, or HIV/AIDs)
- Supports the management in tasks like results-oriented monitoring, reporting, communication, and knowledge management
- performs other duties and tasks at the request of management
Required qualifications, competences, and experience
- Master’s in development studies, Economics, Education, or another subject of relevance
- A minimum of 3 years of project management/advisory in development cooperation (governmental, foundation or NGO) or project management/advisory in private consulting business including development planning, budgeting, implementing, and monitoring
- A minimum of 4 years of stakeholder communication, internal and external reporting as well as monitoring.
- At least basic understanding of TVET concepts, vocational training systems and job matching/employment services in Tanzania, preferably with a focus on youth and women employment
- Overview competencies in gender are an advantage
- Overview competencies in private sector development is an advantage
- Excellent conceptual, communication and negotiation skills, ability to express ideas clearly and persuasively both orally and in writing
- Clear understanding of the different roles, contrasting demands and responsibilities of public and private sector players
- Confident and eloquent in working in an international professional context
- A good knowledge of digitalisation in the field of skills development is an asset
- Excellent knowledge of English and Kiswahili in speaking and writing is a must
- Knowledge of German Language is an asset
- Strong writing skills for reports and concepts are crucial
- Ability to work in a team towards common goals is a requirement
Interested candidates are requested to send their letter of application together with the CV and academic certificates by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please use the subject line ‘Project Manager Skills Development’
Closing date for submission: 13.09.2021
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.