- Company: SJUIT
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting Jobs in Tanzania
The St. Joseph University in Tanzania (SJUIT) is the university owned by Trustees of Daughters of Mary Immaculate and Collaborators (DMI) and registered by Tanzania Commission for Universities (TCU). The University has three Colleges namely Campus College of Engineering & Technology (SJUCET), the Campus College of Science & Mathematics Education (SJUCSME) both located in main campus at Mbezi Luguruni and the St. Joseph College of Health and Allied Sciences (SJUCHAS) located in Boko, Dar es salaam. The University believes in its mission:
Capacity Building of Children of Africa; To meet the Emerging Challenges happening in the World; By imparting Quality Employable Education with Discipline; Which leads to Self-Enlightenment and; Development of the Nation.
St. Joseph University in Tanzania(SJUIT) is undergoing a purposeful, decisive, and aggressive transformational change. This has enabled the University to ensure that the physical capacities, quality and availability of staff and relevance of academic programmes are in sync with the ever-increasing demand for access to quality Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) higher education. A lot of focus is on harnessing the talents of the students by encouraging innovation, incubation and development of entrepreneurial skills of the Tanzanians.
Thus, the Owner’s of SJUITis seeking to appoint a Vice-Chancellor who shall be the Chief Executive Officer of the University and the driver of academic excellence agenda at SJUIT.
For appointment to the position of the Vice-Chancellor, a person shall be preferably an Engineer/Medical Doctor:
- Have attained the status of Professor/Associate Professor or a Senior Academician in either teaching or research, from a University recognized in Tanzania;
- Have thorough knowledge of the structural, legislative and regulatory framework for administering University Education in Tanzania;
- Have at least five years hands-on experience at a senior level in a University or equivalent institution with demonstrable leadership and management capacity including knowledge of financial management and strategic people management;
- Be an accomplished scholar with a proven track record in formulating and managing academic programmes;
- Have demonstrable experience in networking, fundraising and resource mobilization;
- Meet the requirements of King’s Code of Good Governance on Leadership and Integrity; and
- Have a demonstrable experience in transformative and strategic leadership.
The following core competences and skills will be required for the position of the Vice-Chancellor:
- Ability to portray and uphold positive image and work in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity to and respect for diversity;
- Being a visionary and results oriented thinker;
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills;
- Capacity to work under pressure to meet strict deadlines;
- Firm, fair and with transparent management style; and
- Shall focus on revenue generation from the University activities and fulfill the needs of all stakeholders and shall operate with the balanced budget.
Duties and Responsibilities
As per the Statutes of the SJUIT, the duties and responsibilities of the Vice-Chancellor shall be:
- Academic and administrative head of the University;
- Responsible to the owner through the Council for the implementation of the decisions of the Council and to all matters pertaining to the academic, administrative and financial activities of the University;
- Responsible for development and formulation of appropriate policies;
- Responsible for development of strategic alliances with Government, industry, local and international institutions;
- Required to provide strategic direction and leadership to the University and represent the University nationally, regionally and internationally;
- Required to provide innovative and creative leadership in the areas of Academics, Fundraising, Finance, Budgeting, Planning and Development; Research and Partnerships; and
- Required to co-ordinate the development and implementation of the academic and administrative policies of the University in accordance with the University’s Master Plan and the Strategic Plan.
- As per the statutes of the SJUIT, the Vice-Chancellor shall hold office for a duration of four (4) years with the possibility of one-time renewal for a further term of four years subject to a positive appraisal.
- Will be competitive and commensurate with the position of Vice chancellor.
- Application should be accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae (detailing academic qualifications, professional experience, academic leadership, publications, awards/ scholarships/ funding, membership to professional associations and linkages) and certified copies of relevant academic and professional certificates, national identity card or passport, testimonials, copies of certificates, e-mail addresses and telephone contacts and any other relevant supporting documents.
- Applicants should submit six (6) hard copies of their applications which should clearly be marked “Application for the position of Vice-Chancellor”.
- Name and full contact addresses of three references who know the applicant’s academic and/or work experience
- Applications must be submitted by courier, registered mail or posted and reach the addressee before Monday, 26th October, 2020.
Applications should be addressed to the:
Search Committee for Vice Chancellor,
St. Joseph University in Tanzania,
P O. Box 11007,
DAR ES SALAAM.
The deadline for submitting the application is October 26, 2020