|The Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization (LVFO)|
BACKGROUND INFORMATION FOR THE PROCUREMENT OFFICER POSITION
Victoria Fisheries Organization (LVFO) is an institution of the East
African Community (EAC) charged with the management and development of
fisheries and aquaculture. It was formed by a Convention in 1994 with
major amendments in 2016. It is accommodated under Article 9.3 of EAC
Treaty and registered as a Regional Fisheries Management Organization
(RFMO) under the FAO UN Charter CAP 102. The overall objective of the
LVFO is to promote sustainable management and development of the
fisheries and aquaculture in order to contribute to food security and
economic growth in the EAC region. The 2016 amendment to the Convention
that established LVFO expanded her mandate and scope to cover among
others issues of fish quality, trade, and marketing.
addition, as EAC Partner States submit their instruments of accession
to the Repository (FAO) and join the Organization, the number of main
stream and project staff increases. Against this background, LVFO
Secretariat is seeking to recruit competent staff for the position of
Procurement Officer to strengthen the Organization, to deliver on her
Job Ref: LVFO /HR/2020/03
Job Title Procurement Officer
Grade EAC P1
Reports to: Executive Secretary
Duty station: Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization Secretariat; Plot 7B/E Bell Avenue, Jinja, Uganda
A. Purpose of the role
To manage and maintain an effective, efficient and value for money
procurement and disposal unit – ensuring the development, implementation
and monitoring of policies and procedures meet national and
International standards in a manner that demonstrates Transparency and
Accountability and that quality service is delivered to the internal and
B. Duties and responsibilities
- In consultation with the User Departments, review LVFO’s Annual
work plan so as to compile/consolidate the LVFO’s Annual Procurement
- Implement and monitor LVFOs Annual Procurement Plan;
- Spearhead and guide the formulation of procurement policies,
guidelines and procedures in order to make recommendations for
- Monitor implementation and compliance with the EAC Procurement Manual and all other procurement regulations;
- Initiate and manage the tendering process in a transparent manner resulting in value for money for LVFO;
- Conduct market surveys to identify supply sources, and establish a data bank of registered suppliers for LVFO;
- Receive, review and process purchase requisitions from User
Departments; ensure that purchase requisitions have clarity, adequate
specifications, for bidders to be able to respond to the
tender/quotation appropriately. Group the requests into homogeneous
categories and identify sources of supply;
- Assist User departments to draw Specifications and Terms of Reference right;
- Consolidate and prepare recommendations for award of
tenders/quotations, and initiate draft notifications of awards for and
- Provide Logistical support for meetings and travel requests;
- Set and maintain an accurate procurement filing and record system for all procurement transactions for future reference;
- Ensure that all Contractors/Service Providers have authorized and
signed Contracts stipulating their Terms of Reference and their
obligations for good performance;
- Preparing electronically generated Local Purchase Orders/Contracts for the service providers
- Expeditiously follow up supply of goods and services and forward certified invoices to Accounts for payment;
- Take the lead in the development of an Asset Disposal Plan and
ensuring that LVFO’s disposal processes are managed in a transparent
- Perform any other duties as assigned by Management from time to time
C. Relevant qualifications and experience and competences
1. Academic and Professional qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s Degree (Honours) in Procurement and Logistics Management, Purchasing and Supplies or a related field.
- Relevant Post Graduate professional qualifications in Procurement and Supplies Management
- Current Membership to relevant accredited National and
International procurement and supplies professional bodies like CIPS,
KISM, CSP, CPSP or equivalent is desirable.
2. Work experience and knowledge:
- A minimum of 5 years’ relevant practical experience in the specific
field of procurement for Goods and Services in a reputable organisation
at a comparable level
- Experience in managing procurement for Donor funded projects is desirable
- Experience in managing similar support services in a comparable international organization is desirable
3. Key Competencies
- Proficiency in specialized procurement and financial management
software applications like SUN system, SAP, or Oracle Financials is
- Proficiency in standard computer applications (e.g. MS Office) and
general ITC technologies (phone, email, internet and related software).
- Proven Integrity
- Self-starter with excellent organisational skills and a proven
ability to work independently with little guidance and oversight in a
- Reliable, positive and effective team player with a track record
working in multi-disciplinary teams and delivering results through
- Good Customer Relations, Negotiation skills, effective
Communication and Report writing skills. Excellent written and verbal
communications in English
CV Writing and Download, Cover/Job Application Letters, Interview
Questions and It’s Best Answers plus Examples. Click Here!
D. Conditions of employment
The Contract period is for five (5) years renewable once upon
satsfactory performance. The first term is subject to a six (6) months’
probation, before confirmation upon satisfactory performance.
Eligibility is restricted to candidates from EAC/LVFO Partner States
(The Republics of Burundi, Kenya, Uganda and the United Republic of
F. Language requirement
Proficiency in English language is a necessary requirement.
An attractive salary package at EAC P1 scale including monthly Housing and Transport allowance.
H. Fringe Benefits
In addition, this post offers attractive fringe benefits including an
installation allowance paid once, plus gratuity paid monthly, a
personal medical Insurance, and personal accident insurance cover.
H. Age requirement
Must be preferably not more than 55 years’ old
I. How to Apply
- Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience
requirements for the above-mentioned position are advised to apply
online through this system by clicking on the button labelled “Apply Now“.
Once you have created an account, you will be required to upload an
application letter (pdf), detailed curriculum vitae (pdf), certified
photocopies of academic certificates (pdf), names and contact details of
three referees, certified copy of National Identity Card (pdf), or
Passport (pdf) and all other documents that suit most for this job.
- Please quote the respective reference number on the application letter
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your
application, please send an email with a precise description of the
issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to the email: [email protected]
- All applications must be submitted online through this system
- Applications which do not: indicate nationality and age; the reference number; or have an application letter attached; have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates; or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
- Only qualified candidates will be contacted. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing.
- LVFO Staff Rules and Regulations precludes consideration of applicants above fifty-five (55) years of age
- Please note that LVFO does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Friday, 11th September 2020 at 17:00hrs local time (East Africa Time).
The Executive Secretary
Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization (LVFO)
Busoga Square Plot No. 7B/E Bell Avenue
P. O. Box 1625, Jinja – Uganda.
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +256 434 125000